Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Not much of a play fanatic but....


Just got back from the play "Wicked" at The San Francisco Orpheum Theater and I must say nicely done. Whoever wrote this play is a genius-combining loose ends from "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" into a successful play that rightfully can stand on it's own is tough to do. The cast was marvelous...I am not too much for plays or drama people and during the over energetic opening act I did have my doubts...but while I waited for a weak link to cross the stage it never came. The singing was all right on note and the acting danced between between comical and dramatically tragic. The two lead women have very gifted lungs as they belted out some tunes and Glenda was particularly hilarious.
"Wicked" was able to bring back that magic from our childhood and give it a place in our adult life. When we were young it was easy to side with the over-bubbly (pun intended) fairy and despise the Wicked green witch. However, years after, one life has beaten us down we watch Wicked and side with the misunderstood outsider who claims. "no good deed goes unpunished." All of us have felt that feeling of trying to be a good person or do the right thing only to have the world side against us and make it nearly impossible. "Wicked" shows us a happy ending is possible for that one person that no one wants to be happy.
I for one like getting lost in a fantasy world of such things. And if you enjoyed "Wicked" or just enjoy your childhood stories coming back to modern-day in a hipper and more sarcastic way, may I recommend you go watch "Tin Man." This is a made for tv movie that aired in three parts and is the story about what happens to OZ after Dorthy's great-great-great granddaughter returns. VERY ENTERTAINING. I believe it was the most watched tv miniseries. Anyways one thing that I have taken away from "Wicked" that I should implement in my life is this:
"Don't wish, don't start. Wishing only wounds the heart."

So true and it's about time I listen. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment