Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Gives Me Hope


Have you ever read the stories on "www.givesmehope.com"? If not the I suggest you go read them...after you read this of course because that website is addicting. Everyone I show it to comes back to tel me that they sat at the screen for hours reading every single story. Basically it is a website where people write in stories that give them hope in a world where hope is kinda hard to come by. Here is an example of one:

Today, I saw a teenage girl walk out of a coffee shop.
She had in her hands: two coffees and two sandwiches.
She walked up to a homeless man and not only gave him one of each, but sat down beside him and ate with him. They talked and laughed together.
This girl's compassion and thoughtfulness GMH


This particular one stood out to me...I have been reading "givesmehope" for a while and whenever I see a story about a normal person doing something like this I always says to myself "I can do that." or "I will do that."....I am a closet HYPOCRITE. I mean I don't tell people that I do things like this but I tell myself that I will but when I see that old homeless man in front of the Safeway entrance I find myself falling back into the same routine as everyone else; making eye contact for a second then looking past pretending to see an oncoming car or worse looking right through this needy man. Maybe it's my police officer father's words ringing in the back of my head "He will just use your money on booze." But why can't I find the courage to do what this girl did and in the process give someone else hope? The same reason you can't. I always think that I will do it "next time" even though I realized after the 4th "next time thought" that I wouldn't. I think that someone else would come along to do it or maybe someone else will come along and do it better. I mean really, what could I talk to a homeless man about?
I am a good person despite my rebellious nature. I don't need to fear a god in order to have morals. I treat people how I want to be treated but for some reason I cannot breach this wall. I am nice as can be to people who I run into but when it is my choice to help a homeless man I still have yet to do it. If you happen to read this (although at the moment I am writing to Mr.Cyberspace) then please tell me if you have found the will to do something like this...something GMH worthy. :)


Who knows maybe this homeless man has a good story I should listen too.
Maybe he is "GOD" or "The One"
Maybe I can help him
Maybe he will kill me.
Shit I wish I was a psychic

1 comment:

  1. Allow me to point you in the direction of "The Prophet" by Kahlil Gibran, especially the chapter "On Giving", I hope it will free you and take away that fear so that you can be more you. Don't be afraid of who you are and if you find us worthy, share as yourself as you can with the world. Good luck! :-)

    ReplyDelete